Industrial tanks hold various types of liquids and should be cleaned regularly to prevent the growth of bacteria and fungi inside. The accumulation of sludge and another build-up can alter the effectiveness of the chemical or substance inside, creating a costly problem for your business.
Implementing routine industrial tank cleaning services is needed to ensure that your tank is functional and maintained over time … protecting your investment and extending the life of this important piece of equipment.
When Industrial Cleaning Is Needed
Industrial tank cleaning services should be a routine part of your equipment maintenance plan. What you have stored inside often dictates how often you should have the tank professionally cleaned.
In general, industrial water tanks should undergo cleaning at least twice a year. However, if you store chemicals in your tank, how often you should have it cleaned varies. Check with OSHA or organizations like IDR Environmental Services, that specialize in your industry for any requirements that pertain to your tank.
Some situations warrant industrial cleaning no matter what is stored inside your tank, including:
- Whenever indicators alert you that there might be a problem going on inside: Indicators may include a slow dispenser flow, contaminated samples or the need for frequent filter changes.
- If you have an upcoming tank inspection: Before an inspection of your tank, you will need to clean it and take it out of service.
- If you are swapping contents: If you need to store a different product inside the storage tank, you will need to ensure a thorough cleaning takes place. Any residual products left behind could damage the new contents.
- A mechanical failure occurs: If your tank requires maintenance, you will need to empty its contents. Before a repair technician enters, cleaning the tank ensures a safe working environment.
Industrial Tank Cleaning Services Offered
If you are in food processing, cosmetics, oil and gas refining, or pharmaceuticals, storage tanks are essential for the manufacturing process. Over time, sludge and scales can build up on the tank’s walls and baffles, creating an environment where the contents can become contaminated and the tank could face costly repairs.
Experienced industrial cleaning companies help to ensure that small, large and industrial-sized tanks are cleaned and put back into service as soon as possible.
After a liquid is removed, tank cleaning experts will typically vent the tank to remove any dangerous vapors. They will then clean the interior of the tank using high-pressure water. High-pressure cleaning removes residue left behind and ensures thorough cleaning.
Some industrial tank cleaning companies may offer additional services as well, such as repairing any damaged interior walls or applying protective coatings.
Industrial Tank Cleaning Services Near Me
When using Google or Bing search terms like “industrial tank cleaning services near me” for industrial cleaning services, there are a few clues that separate the best companies from the rest.
Look for a company that:
- Bonded and insured: A cleaning company will deal with expensive equipment like holding tanks, so it’s important to ask for insurance verification for both workers' compensation and general liability.
- Certified to handle hazardous waste: If your tank holds hazardous waste, your cleaning company may have to remove waste from your property after the cleaning process.
- Provides emergency response: While industrial tank cleaning can be a routine service, it’s a good idea to hire a company that is experienced in emergency situations especially if you have hazardous chemicals inside your tank.
- Offers a walk-through: Walk-throughs are collaborative in nature and offer an opportunity to identify potential problems with your tank or other areas of concern that should be addressed. A walk-through also offers the chance to talk with a professional about how often your tank should be cleaned.
- Cleans using biodegradable agents: Companies that use biodegradable cleaning agents when possible during the tank cleaning process will help you avoid adding one more chemical to your hazardous waste streams, or avoid contaminating the tank when you refill it with your fluids.
Once you narrow down your options, ask for an estimate. The best cleaning services will offer you a free estimate for the work that you need to be completed.
Since tank cleaning services are often performed as part of an ongoing contract, ask about the terms of the contract, such as if and when you can cancel and whether signing a contract affords you a better deal.
Finally, when searching for industrial cleaning services near you, reputable companies should always be willing to provide you with references for their work. Reach out to other businesses that have hired the vendor so that you can hear about those companies’ experiences.
Finding the right company to perform proper maintenance of your industrial tank is essential to meet your cleaning needs and to protect your investment.