DTSC Form 1358 | What You Need To Know

DTSC Form 1358

The Resource Conservation and Recovery Act of 1976 (RCRA) is the principal federal legislation regulating the handling of hazardous waste to protect the public health and safety and the environment from the improper disposal and dumping of these dangerous chemical wastes.  

The Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) is an agency of the State of California founded in the early 1970’s whose mission is to protect the public health and the environmentdtsc from toxic harm and administer the RCRA requirements.  Arguably the most notable aspect of the RCRA are the “cradle to grave” requirements which directs the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to direct controls on the management of hazardous wastes from their point of generation through their transportation and treatment, and/or storage and disposal. 

California ID Numbers

As part of its “cradle to grave” mandate the DTSC issues permanent California ID numbers to generators, transporters and disposal facilities for the purpose of tracking hazardous waste. California ID numbers are site-specific and owner specific. The ID number enables regulators to track the waste from its origin to final disposal. A business must obtain a federal or State ID number before shipping hazardous waste to a recycler or disposal facility.

DTSC Form 1358

The Department of Toxic Substances Control’s (DTSC) Form 1358 is used to apply for a new permanent California ID number, reactivate an existing permanent ID number, and inactivate an existing permanent ID number or to update information on a California or federal permanent ID number. It takes on average 3 to 5 business days to process an application and there is currently no fee to obtain a California ID number.  For businesses applying for a new permanent California ID number, the DTSC will issue your ID number and send a confirmation notice by mail within 7 business days from the day your application is received in their office.

You can check the status of the issuance of your new ID number by going to www.hwts.dtsc.ca.gov under Reports. Search on your business name or site address and the report will show if you have an ID number.

You can submit your application via mail, email or fax:

Via Mail:


Department of Toxic Substances Control


PO Box 806

Sacramento, CA


Via Electronic Mail:




You will need to scan your document or format it into a PDF.

Via Fax


 (916) 255-4703


Board of Equalization Requirements

The DTSC notifies the California State Board of Equalization (BOE) once an ID number has been issued. Companies must apply with the Board of Equalization to obtain a hazardous waste generator fee account number if your business generates or produces five (5) or more tons of hazardous waste per calendar year, regardless of the final disposition of the waste. Using a hazardous waste hauler or contractor will not relieve you of the liability for the hazardous waste fees that result from the generation, recycling and/or disposal of your hazardous waste.

Make sure that your business stays up on the latest federal and state regulations regarding the handling of hazardous waste.  Contact a licensed and qualified company to ensure that you are not exposing yourself to costly fines associated with violations of state and federal law.

Hazard Communication Standard Pictogram Sign